CREATE OUR STAGE SET (50 – 60 MINS) Observe, Respond and Create
This project is about how the changing seasons are told through music and dance
The clips you are soon going to see are from a live ballet performance in a theatre to music based on The Four Seasons by Antonio Vivaldi – a very famous piece of music featuring the string instrument section of the orchestra – violins, violas, cellos and double basses. (You will learn more about Vivaldi and musical instruments in Lesson 3).
You might recognise some of the music from The Four Seasons already in films and TV commercials or on the radio.
- Firstly, think about the FOUR DISTINCT SEASONS here in the UK.
- What is your favourite season and why? In our environment, what tells us that the seasons are changing? Think about changing sounds, colours and light…
WATCH THE DANCERS:
- Watch the short clip. What immediately makes you think this clip is about Winter?
- Watch the short clip. What immediately makes you think this is about Spring?
- Watch the short clip. What immediately makes you think this is about Summer?
- Watch the short clip. What immediately makes you think this is about Autumn?
These clips don’t have a set! The dancers are on an empty stage. So, we would like you to PAINT one for us:
A tree to sit on the stage in each clip to help the dancers tell the story of each season.
- Please paint one tree in either your favourite season OR four different seasons, thinking a lot about telling the story of the seasons with colours.
Show us how it changes from one season to the next, just as the clips changed from one season to the next. You might want to draw animals that live in and climb trees.
NEBT would love to receive photos of your artwork to display on our social media. Please photograph and send to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will share a selection on our Instagram and Facebook page.